History III, Citations and Active Learning: good class

Taught some students about functional analysis. A very good class. I did an exercise on citations and reading using Active Learning and Kagan Structures:

Active Learning Method: Syndicates and Springboard Seminar

Why did you choose this active learning method?

It was brought up by the Course Module Team that in order for students to do proper citations for their paper, they would need to be taught what a proper citation is. I was left with this unenviable task.

I decided to use Syndicates as it is an efficient way to cover more worked examples within an allocated time. Different groups of students will work on different texts in parallel, each group working out the correct sequence of referencing. Syndicates can also be incorporated within a Springboard Seminar. The choice of Springboard Seminar was an opportunity to divide the students into discussion groups and the present their discussion to the class or on a worksheet. Having many groups would encourage full participation of the whole class.  

How did you incorporate this into your teaching session and what were the results?

I decided to kill two birds with one stone by having a lesson on citations combined with the required in-class reading of a paper. Both would involve dividing the class into groups and presenting their discussions.

I decided to have a short lecture on the importance of citations and how to write proper citations using the Harvard System. I conducted this lecture as an adjunct to the usual lecture series. This provides the stimulus for the Springboard Seminar. I then handed out a worksheet for the Syndicate. I divided the class into 5 groups of 8. I then handed out 5 different texts for which the students have to write out a full reference list. I handed one to each group. I gave then 5 minutes and then I would switch the texts and so on until all 5 groups have finished all 5 texts.

I then handed out a photocopy of the reading for the day on Colonial Streets of Singapore. I divided the text into 5 parts and let each group read each part. I then allowed 15 minutes of reading time and discussion within group. After that, I began the Seminar by having the relevant groups summarize and discuss the text from start to finish. Finally, they are required to answer a question online in response to the text. I posted the question onto the discussion board of the module blackboard.

What would you do differently if you had a chance to do it again?

I would perhaps have the students move around a bit and do a jigsaw instead of sticking to the same groups for the two discussions. The difficulty with this is, being a Year 3 class, the cliques formed are very strong and they would not be happy with me if I were to mix them up!

Will you ever use this active learning method again? Do provide reasons or your reflective thoughts here.

I certainly would use this active learning method again as it gives a guided method of doing an unfamiliar task ie. Writing out references and critically reading an academic text.