Lesson on Hydrology and Waterbodies

Some of my students clapped after today’s lecture. They must have enjoyed my lecture even for such a dry topic as rivers and hydrology.

I decided to start the lesson series on documentation and detailing with an exercise to see how good the students are in drawing a construction detail using a simple element which is paving or planting bed. These are third year students and they would have a basic grounding on detailing. I have not taught them before so I need to see what the level of understanding and skill is.

I found that my last year’s students mentioned that they benefitted from it and they are now doing well in their second year because of their understanding of construction detailing. One student wrote in their lecturer’s evaluation last year in that he/she like the comments written in red from me for their detailing exercises as they got constructive feedback as to how they could improve upon their details. It is a form of teach less learn more I think and I use formative assessments as a guide to my students’ level of skills and competency.