ABOUT ME

I began this blog after learning about reflective practice during my certificate of teaching course. This course is mandatory for new lecturers in this institution. I joined on the 1 October and the first two modules of this course runs for about a week and a half.

I joined teaching because I have always enjoyed imparting my knowledge to thers and help people succeed in their exams. My parents are teachers, in primary and secondary schools respectively, and my sister is a primary school teacher. So you can say that teaching runs in our blood.

I tutored in Geographic Information Systems and Environmental Visualisation and The University of Melbourne in 2001. I also gave presentations as a Medical Orderly NCO at 2PDF Command. I also gave tuition in various subjects from Mathematics to Physics to English in Primary and Secondary levels.

My teaching philosophy is to try and connect with the student and engage them to think actively about the subject matter. I would try and use real life examples where possible. This is not always easy since students have multiple intelligences thus I alwys have to find different ways: aural, verbal, visual or kinaesthetic methods to impart knowledge.

From amongst some of the courses which I attended since I first joined the teaching profession, I learnt about the following principles of teaching:

a. motivating students is about making lessons engaging

b. many methods for creating an engaging lessons, from cooperative learning (Kagan Structures) to Multiple Intelligences approach

c. there are many theories with regards to effective discipline

d. active listening and body language is important in counselling skills

e. make use of technology, internet and IT into lessons

I shall attempt to implement the above principles which I have learnt into my lessons and class management